A variety of items can be purchased free of Sales Tax during South Carolina’s 72-hour Sales Tax Holiday, including computers, clothing, footwear, school supplies, and bed and bath items. The South Carolina Department of Revenue (SCDOR) reminds shoppers that eligible items can be new or used and purchased online or in-store without paying the state’s 6% Sales Tax and any applicable local taxes during South Carolina’s Tax-Free Weekend, Friday thru Saturday, August 6 – 8, 2021. Items that are excluded from the Tax-Free Holiday include digital cameras, smartphones, jewelry, cosmetics, eyewear, wallets, watches, furniture, rental clothing or footwear, and items for use in a trade or business.
Share the savings! Post your Tax-Free Weekend deals, savings, and photos using #SCtaxfree. RSVP to the event on Facebook and follow the SCDOR on Facebook and Twitter for Tax-Free Weekend updates, resources, and reminders.
Tips for Sales Tax Holiday shopping:
- Online purchases of eligible items are tax-free too. Find cybersecurity tips at dor.sc.gov/securitycenter.
- Check with your local retailer for online shopping, delivery, or curbside pick-up options.
- Get the details and start planning your Tax-Free Weekend by visiting dor.sc.gov/taxfreeweekend for shopping lists and FAQs.
Information for Retailers
- All retailers who sell eligible items participate in the Sales Tax Holiday and may not collect Sales Tax from their customers on eligible purchases.
- A retailer toolkit with social media graphics, posts, and FAQs is available at dor.sc.gov/retailer-toolkit.
- Sales of eligible tax-free items during the Sales Tax Holiday should be reported and taken as a deduction on a retailer’s August Sales Tax return. Retailers can file and pay Sales Tax and manage all of their South Carolina tax accounts online using our free tax portal, MyDORWAY.